Thursday, October 27, 2011

Source of Identity

Identity, identity, identity. It’s a word I’ve heard repeatedly in the last two years, increasingly in the last year. At first it sounded like a fancy Biblical term for something I didn’t get, but the more I understand about identity, the more I find it is incredibly central to God’s heart for me. So, what exactly is identity?

Identity is defined as “the distinguishing character or personality of an individual.” In the past year God has been repeatedly speaking into my life about how awesome I am. I know what you’re thinking, “Ryan has gone off the deep end, let’s take a moment to pray for him, pride is ruling in his life.” Spare the prayers, and let me elaborate. Most of us live a life focused so much on our failure that we never walk in the victory Jesus won at the cross. Several thousand years ago, God sent the Israelites a law that showed them how inadequate they were to live up to God’s expectations. A couple thousand years ago, God sent His Son to show us how adequate His Son was to live up to His expectations. Then in a turn no one really expected, God offered us that adequacy in His Son, Jesus.

So to say that you’re a failure, a loser, a liar, a sinner, is demeaning the cross of Christ. Kris Vallotton says it like this, “How does demeaning the painting glorify the painter? How does demeaning the creation glorify the creator?” Where do we find an identity that isn’t a failing losing lying sinner? We find it at the cross.

“I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.” – Galatians 2:20

Here Paul is reminding us that we no longer identify with our failing losing lying sinning self, because we identify in both his crucifixion and his resurrection. We were made alive to Christ. We were restored into the fellowship that we were designed to walk in. No longer based on our sinful self’s attempt to be righteous, but through Christ’s perfect life and righteousness that has been given to us.

“He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.” – 2 Corinthians 5: 21

“So that we might become the righteousness of God in Him…” This isn’t a ‘sinner saved by grace’ mentality. Yes we were sinners, and we are saved by grace. But we no longer identify with our sin; we are identified instead with His righteousness.

I’ve heard this message repeatedly, but the question I continue to struggle with is this, “Am I really good? I’ve heard so long that I’m worthless.”

So this morning instead of ignoring it, I let God answer. As He often does, He took me back to the garden to see what His original design for us was. Adam and Eve walked with God in the garden. There was perfect relationship and that was enough for them. Their identity was totally wrapped up in their relationship with God. It wasn’t until they sinned that they had anything else to identify with. After sinning, they broke relationship with their best friend, their lover, and their God, and became “sinners.” There is no relating to God when we are identified with sin. If you have accepted Christ into your life, you are no longer a sinner. The Christian is no longer identified with His sin, but identified with His Savior.

So as was His original design, I’m no longer identified by my own actions, but I am identified by my Savior. I no longer live as a single man, but one totally intertwined with Christ. We are no longer separate entities that I can say, “I’m bad, but Christ is good.” To say I’m bad is to say Christ is bad, and to say Christ is good is to say I’m good.

“For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.” – Colossians 3:3

Stop trying to separate yourself from Christ. At the cross He forever joined you to Him, hidden in Him. Let yourself realize how awesome you now are because you’re in Jesus.  When the Father looks at you He sees Christ and when He looks at Christ He sees you. As John Eldridge puts it, “You are not your sin; sin is no longer the truest thing about the man who has come into union with Jesus. Your heart is good.” As long as you identify with your sin, you will live as though you’re a sinner. When we truly learn to identify with Christ, we will together with Christ leave an impact on the world that hasn’t happened in 2000 years.

“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father.” – John 14:12

No comments:

Post a Comment